MBMA Announces Online Education Course on Prepainted Metal Panels
Date:November 16, 2020
Contact:Tony Bouquot, General Manager
CLEVELAND, OHIO – www.mbma.com: The Metal Building Manufacturers Association (MBMA) and the National Coil Coating Association (NCCA) have released a new continuing education course titled, “Creative Building Solutions with Prepainted Metal Panels.” Created in partnership with the American Institute of Architects (AIA) and Architectural Record magazine, the course is now available through Architectural Record’s Continuing Education Center website and also via its continuing education app.
“Prepainted metal is used extensively throughout the construction industry, often for the purpose of creating economical, sustainable and well-designed buildings that perform extremely well over the long term,” says Tony Bouquot, MBMA’s general manager. “Our new course provides an introduction to this versatile product and gives construction industry professionals the tools to recognize the best ways to use it on projects.”
Prepainted metal, also referred to as coil-coated metal or precoated metal, is commonly used on the exteriors of all types of residential, commercial, institutional and industrial buildings. This course introduces the learner to the manufacturing process for prepainted metal and the difference between it and post-production painted metal. It then goes on to analyze the many uses of this component in the building process and addresses how to specify its use in any construction project. Specific learning objectives include the participant’s ability to:
- Investigate the overall process of fabricating prepainted metal for use in building design and construction.
- Learn how advances in prepainted metal have enhanced aesthetic options and improved performance of metal building systems.
- Identify and recognize the broad range of design and performance aspects associated with prepainted metal related to safety and welfare.
- Assess the functional contributions of prepainted metal related to green and sustainable design including protection of human health.
- Specify prepainted metal in a variety of green and conventional buildings and formulate appropriate selections related to specific applications.
AIA members who complete “Creative Building Solutions with Prepainted Metal Panels” are eligible to receive one learning unit credit. A number of other organizations offer learning credits for the course as well, including the American Institute of Building Design, the International Association for Continuing Education and Training and multiple Canadian architectural associations.
Founded in 1956, MBMA serves manufacturers and suppliers as it works to promote the metal building systems industry. For over 60 years, its membership has supplied high-quality buildings for use in commercial, retail, office, industrial, institutional and other end uses. The association provides a wealth of useful information on its website, MBMA.com, for anyone who works with or is interested in metal building systems. Resources include technical materials, research reports, videos and design guides. The MBMA blog provides the most current research and new ideas to propel the industry.